Monday, August 3, 2009

Libel protection for web venture soliciting feedback on managers?

I am interested in setting up a website which would allow people to rate their prior bosses and managers on a variety of standard managment criteria. I would also like to solicit comments to round out the feedback. The intent would be to highlight the excellent managers, and allow the many individual contributors to have a voice in providing feedback on the bad managers who seem to have an uncanny ability to 'fail upward'.





I am interested in finding out how and where I should incorporate to best protect myself from any personal liability that might result from such a venture. (Including offshore LLC's that my do a better job of providing a shield from litigation).





Secondly, I am interested in finding out whether there are certain hosting locations that might provide a more advantageous legal environment for such a venture.





Lastly, I am interested in knowing whether I am exposing myself to greater risk by offering access to the comments for a fee.





Please advise.





Thanks
Libel protection for web venture soliciting feedback on managers?
1) overseas or Florida, definitelly an LLC


2) Overseas


3) Yes and No
Libel protection for web venture soliciting feedback on managers?
based on similar such sites such as hatehimgirl, etc where people say what cheating lying horrible people ex-boyfriends or girlfriends are and the case law surrounding these sites... you have no liability simply for being the web site operator/host. You are simply providing the format for people to express their opinions. As long as you dont endorse their opinions or otherwise make claims as to the truth of their opinions you should be fine


No comments:

Post a Comment